- Bernard Lagat taking the silver in the 1,500, but off the podium in the 5,000.
- Kenyan Martin Lel atop the field in the Marathon. Strangely, of the 14 nations to take gold in the marathon, Kenya is not one of them. Incidentally, Lel and countryman Robert Cheuriyot are the best, big-race marathoners in the world, but I still say don't sleep on Ryan Hall.
- No American women in the distance events. Not even Deena Kastor, who took the bronze in the marathon in sweltering heat and humidity at the Athens games.
- Tyson Gay over Usain Bolt in the 100.
- Usain Bolt over everyone in the 200.
- Jeremy Wariner over LaShawn Merritt in the 400.
 QBs just like Brett Favre in that they have won exactly one Super Bowl.